Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I am progressing through a dairy milk bar larger than my hand.

   Fatass is an Americanism. I have less than a week here.

   On Sunday I went to the Geffrye Museum of interiors. "That museum was not...enlivening." Couldn't be put in a more British way. But I liked it. It was a series of period rooms from 1600 to the 1990s, like basically the dining/social room of the house, what materials were at the time, who used the room and for what. It was ok. It was a nice day. Then I ate at McDonald's and really felt like the worst American ever. Like it was actually a little painful. Literally nothing else was open because it was in the business district and most of the places close up at the weekends because there are no suits there to buy anything. Then I went all the way to Brixton for vegan cupcakes with Nina, Argula, and one of Nina's classmates. The cupcakes were good. I bought two coffee and walnut (which was probably my favorite), one triple chocolate, and one black forest something. I ate three of them, two in one day. So yeah, Monday. I stayed in my pajamas all day eating nothing but cheese and sweets all day. I watched so much Community and read a LOT. Boy, I smelled by the end. I was ready for a shower.

   Yesterday Larissa and I met up again for John Soane's but before that we were hungry so I made her bypass Pret to go to this place called Pod, which was kind of funny because of my previous day's eating I had decided to detox and that I needed more vegetables and that was all what Pod was about. I was saving myself for Mexican food later (or so I thought), so I just bought carrots and hummus, wiping my finger around the bottom to get all the rest of the hummus. Larissa got a soba, which was a soup, but really translated to random vegetable (like spinach!) floating around in a broth. After my hummus snack was purchased, I had noticed a "breakfast pot" of yogurt, quinoa, mango, mango puree, agave, and almonds, and so I had to go back up and get that. It was quite nice. Larissa and I ended up trading the breakfast pot and the soba as she was soba'd out. I then made the tragic mistake of chomping down on a red chili, after which I proceeded to cry a little bit while frantically running my finger around container of yogurt in order to cease the fire that raged on my tongue and in my throat. I gulped down loads of water and it wasn't until Larissa gave me some gum that it began to wane. We then headed to the museum.

   Simply put, Sir John Soane's Museum is one of the coolest places I've been to in London. The museum is actually his house, near Holborn, where he collected loads of things and then donated it when he died, always wanting to share it. The house is a gem in the middle of central London. We were amazed at how much space it occupied. Four to five floors. Walls covered in bookshelves, beautiful chair dots the room with feathers placed on them to protect them from curious asses. the ground floor held a small study/dressing room which faced this central garden thing with a monument where the wife's dog is buried. And the back rooms (I wanted to know what they had actually been used for) were just filled with Roman ruins, statues, etc. Tiny hallways twisted and turned in mazes. The ground floor held the sarcophagus of Seti I. We were only able to go up like one or two floors above the ground. One room was bright yellow, like a small lounge room, with gorgeous views of the park opposite and then a smaller room which was the shop where I bought four postcards that showed the character of the rooms. I was disappointed that we could not go any higher into his personal bedrooms because they were being renovated or something.

   Now go watch Community. 

1 comment:

  1. Elissa I can't wait to see you when you're back in the USA!! P.S. I've learned some good vegan cupcake recipes myself, my favorite being mango. Will have to see how they measure up to the standards you've grown accustomed to :)

    ReplyDelete