Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Good Things

Today was unstructured things, but still things that needed to be done. The day started off well, by finding the correct shuttle and discovering that the driver was actually a nice man who listened to "Smooth radio" which is the like motown disco-y radio. The first song that came on was that one that's like, "Heaven, must be missin' an angel, child, cus I'm here next to you right now." Lol. It was a brilliant way to begin the day. We went to Strand to get bank things sorted and then to NatWest, where we wanted to open bank accounts, only to find out that they're so backed up that we had to schedule appointments until Saturday. So still no phones until then. Then home to break and I finally got a chance to speak to Arif (sp?), the boy who lives next to me. I found out that he went to boarding school in Shrewsbury, so he's no stranger to England. He was actually quite nice and we chatted for a bit. Then Michelle and I figured out busing to Walworth Road, where we went to Argo's (pronounced Ar-goss) and Superdrug. Argo's is a giant catalogue store. You find what you want, write down the number and quantity, then pay for it, then go pick it up at a counter. I got an alarm clock and battery for less than ten pounds. Next we went next door to Superdrug, which is a cross between like a Sally's Beauty Supply and a Walgreen's. It was kind of like coming home--there were finally familiar brands, and many, to choose from. I finally found Q-tips, which are called "cotton wool buds" here. And ibuprofen, which only comes in packs of 16 tablets. Band-aids, mouthwash, etc. Then of course because there was a Salvation Army on the street, we had to stop there. Michelle, ever the avid fashion-finder, found an H&M coat in size 10 for 3.99 (maybe not even $7). So I had to buy it. It's really cute. And navy. And form-fitting.
Then we dropped all THAT off, and went to the Tesco express we spotted on the shuttle earlier in the day. I got more non-perishables, a bit of fresh fruit, more carrots and Tesco hummus (we'll have to see if it can win out over Sainsburys...tough competition). Michelle bought most of the stuff for dinner. We had burritos with refried kidney beans, chicken, orange pepper, mushroom, garlic, onion, hot pepper, cumin. Pretty damn good. Michelle's flat is kind of close as themselves, but they're all into the party scene. I stayed quiet, and usually after a day of running around, I really look forward to time alone doing my own thing. So I helped with some dishes then went back to my flat.
Now, when I hear voices in the kitchen (immediately on the left, across from my room immediately on the right), I always feel as though I should go in and be a bit social. It is good for me. So I grabbed my alarm clock in order to set it up in there, which ended up paying off. S (I'm not even going to attempt spelling her name) helped me actually to fit in the battery (I'm retarded). We were sitting around and having one of the usually quite weird conversations I end up having. We were talking a bit about cultural customs and bestiality and other things but it was funny and nice to finally bond. Everyone was there except for Arif. I had forgotten until Catherine came back in that we were going to be eating moon cake, a Chinese tradition that Allison then explained to us. So we had tea and sweets and had good conversation and it was really nice. Finally there was talk of group cooking one night a week. Then I got tired and needed to go actually organize the growing pile of things on my bed so I left and listened to jazz and was really happy and sad a little and showered. And just as I thought that I'll finally get to sleep in and have a free day, I remember that the "fresher's fayre" is tomorrow, basically the equivalent of Festifall. So I want to go to that to look at the clubs but also to get free shit. And then it's trying to apply for an oyster card and after that, Tesco superstore for non-food type things. Will it ever end? I dunno, but I am both excited and nervous for classes to start. Did I tell you that my classes fall on only two days a week? But that I have three classes on Tuesdays and only one on Friday? Which means that Tuesdays I will have class from 10AM-9PM on Strand campus with maybe four hours tops of break and that on Friday I could be stuck out there from 10-5 for only two hours of class? I've yet to receive my timetable, but it is obvious that Tuesdays are going to be shit. Lol.

3 comments:

  1. Elliisssaaaa!!

    I have created a blog account so I can follow you (and blog) and I have read all your posts but have really put off studying for my chem exam long enough so I'm not going to get all elaborate with my commentary but I love you and miss you and am glad that you're exploring and being social and relatively happy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it this is Devin.

    There's a statue of Sappho right outside the great hall on my campus. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E, I'm sure that Steve has told you that our maternal grandma is(was)from Stafford-shire. (She came to America on the "big ship" to N.Y.) If you get around sight seeing, please take a few pics from there...thx! Thinking of you everyday hon, big hugs for you! xo aunt nancy

    ReplyDelete