Sunday, January 9, 2011

STILL alive

   Ok so my essays are done and nearly ready to turn in for tomorrow. I have to print some copies tomorrow and cross my fingers that the computer labs aren't a mess. Robyn was sooo nice as to print off one copy of each for me even with cover sheets. Amazing. I am excited to see her tomorrow and to make her a mix soon. I take mix cds probably way too seriously. I attempted to make Rachel one over the summer and I filled a whole sheet of paper with song titles only to abandon it eventually cus I couldn't narrow it down.
   It didn't occur to me until last night that people were actually going to be returning today and I've grown so used to having the flat be just me and Arif and Alison a bit that I admit that I'm a little resentful that it's full again. But it is a shared space so I will deal with it. I have my own things now and that makes me happier. My room is clean again. Alison changed the vacuum bag today so it works again and my floor is clean! The simple things in life. :) I also returned a stack of books to Maughan today and paid my 3 pound something in fines (oh essays). Michelle, Judith and I went to Wagamama for lunch this afternoon and it was quite good. I got the miso ramen. To drink I got the Orange Beet Down which was orange juice, apple juice, pomegranate and beets! Interesting.
   I got my CRB check FINALLY in the mail the other day, which I needed in order to volunteer for Sexpression so I signed up for two sessions this week. As far as I know, I am teaching contraception on Tuesday, which I believe is to 16-17-year-olds. And then on Wednesday I will be teaching STIs. Both times I am teaching with other first-time volunteers, which makes me a bit nervous, but at least I'm not doing it alone, which I would be more scared of. Overall I am excited. As much as I love-hated being stuck in my room forever, it should prove good to get out of the flat and do something positive.
   Charli knocked on my door today when she got home and it was nice to see her again. I'm definitely glad we bonded those weeks ago even if it was over a negative thing. We chatted with much of the flat and later our new flatmate, whose name I am unable to spell right now so I will leave that until later, arrived and we all kind of got up in her face and chatted to her. She seems quite likable. :) Overall this semester I know I will be doing my thing and trying to not let the small things get to me. I grew so much last semester and learned even more about myself and began changing myself for the better. I hope to not let petty things get me down the next few months. I know I can do it. Oh, the other thing I wanted to note is that the past two or three days I've been listening to tons and tons of the Savage Love podcast (by Dan Savage) and I'm so happy Obi introduced me to him because as much as I thought I knew about sex and sexual health, I'm learning so much! And about relationships in general and life. Sometimes it's good to get the bitchy, blunt advice that is so different from how I would normally approach a situation. And I think that I will definitely try to internalize his way of thinking a little bit more, or I will at least consider things he's said re: relationships in the future. I am glad that it's still ongoing and that there are over 200 podcasts on my iPod right now because I'm only in the 20s and I am really, really enjoying it.

Here's to a good exam week, first volunteering experience, first work experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment