Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Love? What is love?" ...I think that's something like it

   So there hasn't been a ton to report in the past week but I'll give important recaps, or at least recaps for my own benefit.

Last Friday Chris came to London because we got tickets to see Chris Potter, a saxophonist, who was performing at Ronnie Scott's (jazz club in West End) for the London Jazz Festival. OMG he was amazing. Chris and I, even though we basically had standing room only seats, managed to get a table for two tucked into a sort of corner but with a view of the stage. CP opened with Arjuna and from there played some songs he hadn't yet recorded. I was so excited the whole time. Chris and I really enjoyed ourselves. Our waiter was also super nice to us. I tried a grape martini. CP played a bass clarinet a bit. I enjoyed watching the drummer (they're always the best to watch, we agreed). It was a good time. We went back to my flat after purchasing some cider and played cards and the writing game (HILARIOUS) with Alison, Flynn, and Arif. It was a good night that didn't end until like 2am. The next day when we finally got a move on, Chris and I went to the Imperial War Museum. I had felt rushed my first time through, so we spent over two and a half hours there, and we went to the Holocaust exhibit. It was so extensive that we were in there alone for at least an hour. I came out first, not feeling well and generally feeling emotionally overwhelmed. I waited for Chris for ten minutes and I think he had it worse because he asked for a hug when he came out. I remedied the situation the next day by finally watching Inglourious Basterds.

Classes started up again this week, though with minimal reading and one of them was cancelled. I went to big Tesco yesterday and was completely on budget, which always makes me extremely proud of myself, especially since I bought a big tub of nutella and other things I don't necessarily need. I can't wait until Irish Lit is over because I am not really into it. I never have things to say in seminar because I'm too intimidated. I think I am pretty much just ready for new classes I am actually interested in.

But omg, last night was the best. It was "the Legacy of the Corpse Bride"--an event for Creative Writing Society in the CRYPT on Guy's campus. Whoa, firreal. So the board of cw were all in costume and had characters and it was a murder mystery where the bride died before the wedding and we had to talk to all the characters and figure out whodunnit. It was kind of awkward at first but it got more fun as we went along. By the end, we had about three theories and one of mine was the actual thing--that she killed herself because there was so much shit going on in her life. Also, Korrie was the groom and it was hysterical because we went over to question him and he just was so stiff and kept saying things like, "I have many prize-winning ponies!" and he was kind of a pompous asshole, which kept making me laugh. Then we got to explore the actual crypt, which wasn't anything more than boarded up sarcophagi dating back to the 1700s (and there was a baby). It was still creepyish, especially since a lot of us had to walk home and it was kind of raining. We formed a big group of non-board members since we were all heading more or less in the same direction. I adore cws.

No comments:

Post a Comment